Pakistani Chicken Curry


My Mother's Chicken Curry is by far one of my favorite dishes. I would rank it in the top ten. It was only fitting that I made this for Mother's Day, yesterday. Now, before you think anything terrible, I wanted to cook this for dinner and Hubby made a absolutely delicious breakfast of French Crepes for me. All is right in the world.


My mother's recipe consists of first blending onions, jalapenos, garlic and spices, and than tomatoes for the base. Than she adds the meat, and the final result is tender and juicy chicken with a very savory and delicious gravy. Serve with Basmati Rice and Mint Chutney and you won't be disappointed with this meal!



Pakistani Chicken Curry
Serves: 4-6  Cook Time: 1 hr


7-8 tablespoons desired cooking oil (I prefer Olive)
1 large yellow onion, chopped
5 or 6 cloves of garlic
1/2 inch diameter of ginger
1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
1 level teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 level teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander powder
1 small size of black cardamom, slightly cracked
1/2 stick of cinnamon
6 or 7 cloves
2 1/2 medium size tomatoes, chopped
1.5 pounds Chicken Drumsticks w/bone, fat and/or skin removed
1.5 pounds Chicken Thigh Fillets, skinless & boneless
2 heaping tablespoon of plain yogurt
1 cup of hot water

Cilantro, optional


1.) Lightly brown onions on medium heat in a large pot with all of the cooking oil.

2.) While onions are cooking, place jalapenos, garlic and ginger into a food processor and blend into very tiny pieces. Add mixture when onions have browned in the pot.

3.) After cooking jalapeno mix and onions for 30 seconds, add cayenne pepper, salt, turmeric, cumin, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves. Cook and stir well for 30 seconds, making sure the spices are well blended. Add the tomatoes.

4.) Cook the tomatoes on medium heat for one minute and then bring heat down to a simmer. Cook until the tomatoes are very soft, tender, and the juices have been released. Stir occasionally. ~This takes about 10 minutes for me

5.) Bring heat back to medium, and add the chicken and stir well, until blended in tomato-spice mixture. When the outside of the chicken looks cooked, add the yogurt and mix well. Add hot water and bring to a boil.

6.) Reduce heat to low, cover, and let chicken cook for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is tender and cooked through, and water is reduced to a gravy. Stir Occasionally.

7.) Add cilantro to the chicken. Serve with Basmati Rice and Mint Chutney.



Enjoy!

Aisha



Share/Save/Bookmark
Needful Things  – (May 10, 2010 at 10:54 PM)  

Aisha - just found your blog. Love your photos. I can never photograph curries & find it hard to make them look good. I recently made Baingan Bharta that I wanted to blog about but all my photos make it look so mushy & I haven't done my post yet.
Love the idea of your blog & will be following you as you make your way through Pakistani cuisine.

glittergal73 –   – (May 15, 2010 at 12:49 AM)  

Hi there--this is the second time I've visited your blog and I'm enjoying it. I plan to make this curry over the weekend, but I am going to make a vegan version using seitan rather thank chicken. It looks delicious and I love the spices used--so fragrant. Cooking is heaven when it smells that good! Thanks for posting.

Alisa  – (May 16, 2010 at 7:44 AM)  

I love how delicious it looks! Thank you for sharing this recipe. I cant wait to try this soon!If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

Anonymous –   – (June 29, 2010 at 4:30 PM)  

I just stumbled upon your blog from the nest and am SO EXCITED! I am Pakistani as well, but my mother always forgets to tell me exact measurements and says add a pinch of this or pinch of that and they never turn out like hers.
I can't wait to read future entries.

Unknown  – (November 5, 2010 at 11:27 AM)  

I made this recipe last night for dinner and it was delicious! Very easy to make and wonderfully fragrant even though I forgot to add the cayenne oops...
Thank you and I wait with baited breath for other delicacies .

Andrea  – (October 23, 2011 at 9:56 AM)  

This recipe is one of the best I have seen. I have already made it 3 times. Thank you!

Mrs.akhter  – (February 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM)  

Hey Aisha
It looks amazing. I m gonna try it out today..i just can't wait!

Anonymous –   – (September 30, 2012 at 11:04 AM)  

I just found this. I am sooooooo excited to cook this for my Pakistani spouse. It sounds delicious. I am happy you took the time to share a real homemade recipe and not all those phony recipes floating around on the internet. So tired of seeing 'easy chicken curry' or 'simple chicken curry recipes.' So allhumdulilah for yours!

Post a Comment

Hey Everyone,
Thank-you for stopping by my humble blog. I welcome and encourage comments from my readers. Please leave a name so I can better answer your questions.

Have a great day!
Aisha

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP